Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Some Quick Words on the Tibetan Uprising and the Olympics

Everyone had heard about it by now, Minorities in Tibet are protesting and violently rioting on the streets of Lhasa. And it seems like it's not stopping.

I've been exposed to both the Chinese media and the Western media about the news. Both have their own distinct tone and view, and I don't trust both. The Western media will always have a negative light on China, and China's media is government-controlled. With this say, I honestly don't know what side I'm on.

With this wave of violent protest, I wonder if the Olympics will be as smooth as the government promised. And there's this sort of sadness in me to see this, since as a Chinese myself, I'm proud that China had actually have the opportunity to host the Olympics. To see people considering boycotting the Olympics and seeing people using this opportunity to act violently seems a bit...disheartening.

Some people did not get why the Chinese government cared about the Olympics so much. Well, the Chinese cared about it so much is because of national pride. China was a country that was oppressed by the West and was invaded by Japan, its people have suffered humility and oppression for a long time. Well, now it's the time for China to shine, for China to show off its wealth. To prove to the world that it's no longer a country of regression but a country of progression. It's not just about the Chinese in China, it's also about people like me, immigrants that are far away from their homeland to feel (somewhat vicariously)like they're part of a strong nation.

It will certainly be interesting to see how China will handle the Olympics. I'll be watching closely, whether people boycott it or not. Then again, my opinion is not objective either.

No comments: