Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bob Dylan Said Today's Music Sucks

"I don’t know anybody who’s made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really."-Bob Dylan, in a recent Rolling Stone interview

While I (and a lot of people I met) agree that the majority of today’s music on the market is bad, I have to admit that the above quote is something that I wouldn’t say (aside from the fact that I can’t say “the last 20 years” due to my age).

Of course this is an exaggeration, and I believe Mr. Dylan used it as an exaggeration too. He has got to like something in the past 20 years. I have a record that I think it’s amazing that just came out in 2006 (Hard-Fi’s Cash Machine), and in the same time I think today’s music sucks. And what about notable records like Nirvana’s Nevermind, Nine Inch Nails’ The Downward Spiral, and Radiohead’s Ok Computer? And that’s just on the alternative rock side.

I guess that Bob Dylan just used this quote to express the general state of music. Or wait, does he hate CDs and that results to the dislike of modern music?

And that got me thinking: is the older generation always think that today’s youngster music sucks?

I know my parents won’t listen to the “boo cha cha” music (named after the beats of techno and hip hop, I think) that I listen to. Funny thing is, I don’t really listen to techno and hip-hop, and that expression is just a generalization. Is the older generation too nostalgic to try to listen to “young people’s music”, this may or may not be the case. I don’t even know if I will listen to “young people’s music” when I’m my parent’s age. Maybe I’ll just listen to my favorite records that’s recorded in the 90’s and the 2000’s when it’s 2030.

But still, nothing but love and respect for Mr. Bob Dylan.

No comments: