Monday, August 18, 2008

Reality Doesn't Always End in Happiness

That's it, the most anticipated race will not happen. Liu Xiang pulled out of the 110 hurdles because of his injury.

We missed the live footage of his preliminary race, but when we switched back to NBC to see what's up, they were already showing Liu Xiang walking out of the stadium. Confusion soon turned into disappointment, then disappointment soon turned into sadness as we realized what happened: Liu Xiang's leg hurt so much that he didn't even finish the race.

My father and I were shocked, even though I had my irrational worries that something was going to happen in the preliminary, I didn't expect it to actually come true. A press conference quickly started about Liu Xiang, but no explanation was needed to feel the pain of Liu Xiang, his coaches, and us, the Chinese who waited four years to see this athlete soar. But fate's a bitch.

Disappointment aside, I respect and understand Liu Xiang's decision. It is my sincere wish, and I hope this is the wish of the majority of the Chinese---that Liu Xiang will heal completely, and that he will soar again.

No comments: