Sunday, August 19, 2007

What I Learned While Having A Summer Job

The planets aligned, the stars lined up, and I finally got a job this summer at the beginning of July. Yes, it’s over now, and I got my money, I got my experience, I got realism.

I got a job at my Housing Projects’ office (that’s right, I live in the ghetto, the ‘hood), and my boss was a social worker. People often come to her, and she knew who was on heroin and who was in jail. There’s more messed-up people in my area than I thought I knew.

From her, I knew a lot more tragedies and screw up kids on the block, she even pointed out the drug dealers to me, just across the street.

I met a bunch of kids that was pretty wild. You know, even if they’re loud-mouthed and belligerent, there was intelligence and care in them.

One of the little girl had a BIG attitude, and she was like ten. She had a MySpace and pretended she was fourteen (seems like all of them have a fascination with MySpace), and she had a big family and her siblings aren’t that close, I’d guess. Another little girl’s mother was a heroin addict who was pregnant, and considering giving the baby once he was born. A boy’s father was in jail, and he was screwing his girlfriend while humping another. Jeez.

I wonder if some of these kids are going to repeat the fate of their parents, and become heroin addicts and whatnots. Does family and childhood life make them want to turn away to an alternate path, or does it twist them into an inevitable fate like their parents?

I hope it’s not the latter. But I guess there’s more of the latter than not.

No comments: